Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sunny Days

Wednesday was a gorgeous day here in the ADK.
The drive over was fun. The girls that rode with me were good company, and we shared a lot of funny stories.
The WILD Center was very creative. I had already been there so I took a quick trip around and then hit the trails with Eric to go to the look out points. I also spoke with some women who were volunteering at the center and was interested to find out they are a non-profit organization. They receive all of their money from admissions, donations, memberships. The building of the center was actually all built based on donations given, which I found to be unbelievable! One other new thing I learned was about conifers. I now know all of the conifers that are in the ADK:
White/Red/Black Spruce, Hemlock, White pine, Red pine, Scotch pine, balsam fir etc.
One way to remember white pine is that the needles are grouped in 5's and there are 5 letters in white!.
So I thought that was pretty cool and informative.

At the ADK history museum I was impressed with the railroad, farming and logging buildings. I was surprised how plush the trains were! They definitely lived in luxury on those things. I was thinking how much that would be now to ride in one of those! My favorite part about the farming was this little machine used for churning butter. I do not remember the name of it but it was this contraption with a track and they had their dog or sheep walk on it. This motion from the track would crank the handle on a churning barrel and the animal would do all the work to churn it for their walking on an endless track! HA brilliant but I feel bad for the animal who had to do that all day! The logging part at the museum actually reminded me alot of the logging interpretation trails I went on in Algonquin National Park in Canada. I almost wish that the ADK museum had everything outside and it was likek a guided trail walk instead but it was still neat.

When we arrived back at Huntington I was exhausted but I kept up the spirit for a small hike with some friends, dinner and then a short paddle run. After that I was POOPED! I cozily snuggled under my blankets and read French Louie until I dropped the book on my face (rather hard actually I must have been holdin the book back about a mile to read it) and decided I better hit the hay.

Until the next amazing tale,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment